Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I have a Chi hair-straightener. I am visiting Japan. Do I need a volt convertor or just the plug adapter?

I am not sure what the voltage is.





I am pretty sure I need the plug adapter so my blow dryer, straightener, and charger can can fit into the Japan outlet sockets. I am not sure if I need to buy the convertor though. The convertor is expensive! Please help!I have a Chi hair-straightener. I am visiting Japan. Do I need a volt convertor or just the plug adapter?
Japanese voltage is only like...10 volts different from voltage in the USA. The last time I was there I ran my laptop and recharged my mp3 player regularly without using a voltage adapter and didn't have any problems. If you're going to stay for more than a month or two you might want to get an adapter, especially if you have any expensive items that would be difficult to replace. The voltage difference might damage the item eventually, especially if you leave it plugged in all the time. But if you're going to be there for a short time and you don't plan on leaving the item plugged in constantly, you can probably just get the plug adapter. Japanese plugs are usually two equally-sized vertical slots. Some of your things might actually work without the adapter (I found that I didn't need one at all for my mp3 player's charging cord), but you should definitely bring one just in case.





By the way, houses and hotels don't run on different voltages, so advice like this should work for both situations.I have a Chi hair-straightener. I am visiting Japan. Do I need a volt convertor or just the plug adapter?
Even with a converter your appliances will not work properly, or get as hot. If you are from a country that uses 220V, it is quite possible that your appliances will get fried.


If you are from North America where the voltage is 110, your dryer, straightener and charger will be much slower, and will not heat up as much.


The voltage in Japan is called 110V A/C, but the actual current is 102 ~ 108V, whereas in North America the alternating current ranges from 108 ~ 112V.


Only in the newest hotels have they included the proper wiring for 220V.


Having said that, there is no need to bring your blow dryer, as practically all hotels now supply these.
What country are you from?





If from North America, most North American items will work in Japanese plugs and voltage without problems, because the plugs are the same (except if you have a three prong plug, then you need a adapter to 2 prong plug), Japan's voltage is 100v vs 120 in the US, but thats no problem.





If you are not from the US/Canada then you might need an adapter and or converter.





If you are from the US you should be ok in most points. No converter is really necessarily.
I was with a host family in Nagano, Japan. Don't worry everything plus in normally. I didn't have any problems. Have fun =]
You don't need to bring any kind of converter or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment